11 Nov 2010

Vintage Luggage

This lovely old scuffed, scratched and generally battered suitcase was my father's. Those are his initials - Eustace Bromley Davenport. The name gives away the era into which he was born and the suitcase gives away the style of that era's travels.

He regularly flew from Croydon Aerodrome, just south of London, where Imperial Airlines had their base and would have gone mostly to Europe. It's no longer a commercial airport but the original art deco Aerodrome Hotel is still there although considerably extended.

Justine Gordon's photograph of an old pair of binoculars inspired me to take a picture of this lovely old suitcase.

8 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of Justine's binocular case when I saw this. What a wonderful tribute to your father too. I love each of your b&w's more and more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so lovely and what a wonderful strong name as well. I love how you have captured this and the angle. A beautiful vintage piece and shot. Thanks for all your lovely comments, did you get the wine boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely shot, and a lovely memory. Old suitcases make some of the best subjects, and this one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic shot! I just love the moody tones

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great shot! happy to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom has one similar to this with her initials on it. Just love the mood you've created with this shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice little piece of your history you have there! Love his name! Eustace, cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely bit of history, all captured in a monogrammed suitcase. I love his name. They just don;t pass on names the way they once did...

    ReplyDelete